Seasoned State and Federal Beverly Hills Criminal Defense Lawyer fights for your Freedom from Arrest Through Jury Verdict
Being charged with a crime — regardless of its severity — can change the course of your life forever. To protect your future and avoid seriously damaging your case, you must understand your rights, your responsibilities, and what actions the law requires from the police and the prosecution.
You should insist on getting personalized counsel from a criminal law attorney in Los Angeles from the moment the police investigate or arrest you. At the same time, a basic knowledge of criminal law may prevent you from revealing incriminating evidence before you can speak with a criminal lawyer
Who Can Detain You, Investigate You And Charge You With A Crime?
The police or another party, such as a store employee, can detain you while investigating a crime that may involve you. This does not mean you are under arrest. California law only requires you to provide the following to the police upon request:
- Your name
- Your address
- Proof of identification
In the state of California, several parties have the power to arrest you. Anyone who sees someone attempting to commit or committing a misdemeanor or suspects you committed a felony can make a citizen’s arrest. They must witness the event, and a citizen’s arrest only applies to crimes punishable by fines or short jail sentences. The following people can arrest you on suspicion of more serious crimes:
- Police officers
- County Sheriff officers
- Investigators in the district attorney’s or attorney general’s office
- Highway patrol officers
- Probation or parole officers
- Federal agents
Upon arrest, the police must inform you of your Miranda rights. The U.S. Constitution guarantees the following rights to adult citizens and noncitizens alike:
- You have the right to remain silent
- Anything you say may be used against you
- You have a right to have a lawyer present while you are questioned
- If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you
A criminal law attorney can ask the court to ignore everything you said to the police if they did not warn you of your rights when they arrested you. However, this does not apply to information you volunteer and the law only requires the police to inform you of your rights upon arrest. They may detain and question you without reading you your rights.
Get help with California criminal proceedings
The Law Office of Bradley S. Sandler and the Beverly Hills Criminal Law Group begins fighting for you when an investigation begins or the police arrest you. A strong criminal defense depends on immediately retaining a law firm to protect and act as an advocate for your rights.
We invite you to learn more about Los Angeles criminal law dealing with arrests and the criminal procedure that follows. In and out of the courtroom, we explain and protect your rights until you finish the entire criminal proceeding, including appeals, probation, and parole.
The basic structure of the California criminal procedure is:
Pretrial criminal defense in Beverly Hills
You do not have to retain a Beverly Hills Criminal lawyer immediately, but your case may suffer without representation. During the pretrial period of time, the following takes place:
- Arraignment—The court sets a date to begin the trial and when the lawyers must file, serve, and respond to trial motions and the court expects you to plead to the charges.
- Bail—Courts use bail to ensure you will appear in court. The judge usually determines bail eligibility and amount during the arraignment. A strong Los Angeles criminal defense includes a request for bail and persuasive reasoning for minimal amounts.
- Pretrial motions—There are strict time limits during which your attorney and the prosecution can ask the court to hear arguments to alter standard procedure. Each representative must respond to all pretrial motions within time limits.
- Readiness conference—Between one and 14 days prior to the trial date, the court holds a meeting with all lawyers working on the trial and you must be present in court. The court determines if a trial is necessary or if a plea agreement is possible.
Beverly Hills criminal defense for trials, sentencing, and post-conviction
The Law Office of Bradley S. Sandler and the Beverly Hills Criminal Defense Law Group support your case through a trial and beyond. Our criminal defense law firm makes sure your jury is fair and impartial, presents evidence at trial, and limits the negative effects of a conviction or plea agreement on your life.
Get The Answers You Need After An Arrest In Beverly Hills Or Elsewhere
Contact the Law Office of Bradley S. Sandler A Professional Corporation for more information about California criminal laws applicable to your case. The knowledge and experience that Los Angeles criminal law attorney Bradley S. Sandler offers can protect your future. Call 310-246-3900 or send an email to email@example.com to schedule a consultation.