When A Custodial Parent Needs To Relocate With A Child

Child custody is an especially challenging aspect of divorce. Joint custody may allow both parents to remain in close contact with the children, but disputes may then arise when one parent wants or needs to move. The Law Office of Bradley S. Sandler A Professional Corporation is dedicated to promoting your children's well-being. I represent parents in California who are seeking permission from a court to move their children and those who oppose a move by the other parent.

Reliable Counsel Helps You Solve Parent Move-Away Problems

Each state has its own rules determining the process for moving a child when parents share custody. In some states, a petition must be filed before the move. In other jurisdictions, a court must be notified after the move. No matter where you live, the issue that is most likely to arise is opposition from the child's other parent. Children are best served when they can have contact with both parents, but this isn't always possible. If I represent you, I will work hard to demonstrate why your move is necessary and in the child's best interests. Common reasons why custodial parents move include:

  • New career opportunities
  • Loss of a job
  • Medical care for you or your child
  • Caring for a parent or relative in another state
  • Marriage or a serious relationship

It is unrealistic for a court or your child's other parent to expect you to stay in the same place forever. I strive for an optimal resolution in your relocation case.

If, on the other hand, you are the parent who opposes such a move by the custodial parent, I can help you present your case for a modification that preserves your parent-child relationship.

Custody Issues For Military Service Members

Many military parents will need to move repeatedly and leave for months or years at a time on deployments. This can create a host of issues. As a family law attorney, I am proud to help these parents clear up issues associated with moving and to help them regain custody of their children after returning from deployment.

Get Answers To Your Questions About A Move-Away Dispute

Call the Law Office of Bradley S. Sandler A Professional Corporation at 310-246-3900 or complete the intake form to schedule a consultation about your child custody modification issue.